Tuesday, July 23, 2013

On SDCC

This past weekend was San Diego's Comic Con International 2013.  For those of you who don't know, I typically celebrate this event by eating junk food on my couch and watching G4 for live coverage and news updates.  I could not do that this year because I was in the process of moving out.

Comic Con brings a very specific image to some people's minds: awkward, poorly-socialized comic book nerds in a convention center.  But over the years, SDCC has turned into something very different.  Yes, there are still people there for precisely that reason (I'm looking at you, Wil Wheaton and Steve Zaragoza), but SDCC has also become the major event for news in movies, television, art, comics, fantasy, science fiction, gaming, and more.  It's full of celebrities, cosplayers (people who dress up as their favorite characters from games, books, movies, shows, etc), panels (like the one that pre-showed the first episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), and other activities.

For at least the second time, they've run the Walking Dead Escape, an obstacle course where people run to escape the zombie hordes.  This isn't the old Comic Con...it's far too big and popular (and, might I add, expensive) to really even compare to most other cons or old school comic con.

Any time anybody wants to get me a press badge, you're more than welcome to.

Geekily yours,
Rachel Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please let me know what you think!